Kojic Acid has been rocking the eastern hemisphere for the past five years and is slowly becoming a staple within the western beauty industry. With the internet buzzing about this “new” beauty treatment, you’re probably wondering whether you should add a Kojic acid-infused serum, cleanser or scrub to you nightly routine. Here are 5 things you need to know about Kojic Acid, how to use it and its benefits.
- Mushrooms are the source of kojic acid, a byproduct of various fungi that also occurs as the result of fermentation of certain Asian foods, such as soy sauce and rice wine. Because of Its ability to really penetrate the layers of your skin and stop the production of melanin, kojic acid is usually sought out as a spot-fading treatment and is often considered a less-aggressive answer to hydroquinone.
- Despite its “acid” moniker, kojic acid is safe to use and is a good option for people with darker complexions who’d be more likely to experience extreme lightening from using other ingredients. Kojic acid-infused products will help to fade discolouration that wasn’t originally on your skin, like age spots, sun spots, or those obnoxious post-breakout marks.
- Kojic acid also acts as an anti-ageing ingredient. It counteracts skin-damaging free radicals caused by exposure to things such as UV damage and pollution.
- It contains anti-inflammatory and anti-viral properties.
- Who should use it? Kojic acid is a great ingredient to add for those battling pigment of any kind. It works well on pigmentation from sun-damage, melasma, or the common post-inflammatory pigmentation, dark spots that occur after acne, bug bites, or injuries.
Kojic Acid has entered the Jamaican market through Zipporah Hair and Skin which is manufactured in Yallas, St Thomas. Zipporah Hair and Skin was created by brain tumour survivor Carmen Thomas who decided to create an all-natural hair and skin line.
“After my treatment, I decided to do research to find out what could have caused this brain tumour. I found a research paper outlining the high levels of toxicity found in hair and skin products marketed to people of colour. It then became my mission to create an all-natural line that is effective and safe for us to use,” she explained.
“Our Kojic Acid Products are infused with Tumeric which is perfect for people of colour because it enhances our natural glow through a yellow undertone,” said Thomas.