The police have held a suspect in connection with the brutal murder of four homeless people across the Corporate Area early Monday morning.
Speaking in the House of Representatives on Tuesday, Holness said the police have strong evidence on the suspect, who is a deportee.
“They have one suspect in custody and this is in relation to the three homeless persons who were killed downtown in the Sutton Street area. That person is a deportee and they do have a suspect with strong evidence in their custody,”
According to Holness, it doesn’t seem like the attacks against the homeless people had been coordinated. He, however, said the police have not dismissed the theory.
Early Monday morning, the bodies of four homeless men were discovered across the Corporate Area. They were all chopped to death, with two others also suffering chop wounds and hospitalised.
The men were killed on Sutton Street, in Half-Way Tree and in west Kingston.
Holness said the government has put plans in place to protect the homeless.
“If it is the case that it is a serial event, meaning that there may be more perpetrators planning to do (so) again, we will be prepared and will probably be able to prevent (it),”